Listen to this article
Boost your body’s collagen with this yummy, simple and healthy vegan recipe
If you’re keen to boost your collagen but you’re not mad for going the marine route, and would rather something vegan or vegetarian, don’t worry. What you eat can really make a difference.
If you want to know more about how to generate more collagen in a vegan or vegetarian diet, read this article.
This tasty and easy-to-make tofu rice bowl is vegan and includes lots of the nutrients needed to help your body boost its collagen. It’s a superfood meal that packs a delicious garlicky, gingery punch.
Vegan Collagen Bowl (serves 2)
- 100g short grain brown rice (or brown basmati if you can’t find short grain)
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 300g firm tofu
- 2tbsp cold-pressed olive oil
- 3-4tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1/2 thumb fresh ginger, grated
- 1 bulb garlic, minced or finely chopped
- 100g green beans
- 1 onion
- 50g pine nuts
- 200g spinach
- 1-2tbsp tahini
- Approx. 1 cup water
Ideally soak the rice overnight in water then rinse well before starting.
1. Bring the rice to the boil in a pan of water with the vegetable stock cube crumbled in then simmer, covered. It will need about 40-45 minutes
2. Slice the tofu into cubes and marinade in a mixture of olive oil, tamari or soya sauce, ginger and garlic
3. Top and tail the green beans and chop them into 2cm lengths, and add them to the cooking rice about 15-20 minutes in
4. Finely chop the onion and fry until soft and starting to caramelise – then keep in a small bowl ready to stir into the rice later
5. Gently stir fry the tofu and pine nuts until starting to brown – you may not need any extra oil as the marinade coating the tofu may be enough – keep the marinade separate for the sauce
6. Steam or boil the spinach for 1-2 minutes, until it softens
7. Vigorously stir the tahini into the marinade, gradually adding water until the consistency is of a thick but pourable sauce
8. Time for assembly: drain the rice and beans, stirring in the onions, and serve into bowls; layer the spinach on top, sprinkle the tofu and pine nuts to make the final layer, and serve with a jar or small bowl of the tahini dressing.
Just so you know – as if you didn’t – sometimes if you click on a link or buy something that you’ve seen on Silver, we may make a little commission. We don’t allow any old links here though. Read why you should trust us